Mobile apps are a common development choice for startup tech companies, but in order to be successful you’ll need to pay careful attention to these 10 important qualities.
Technology’s evolutionary path has led us to an age where the most significant developments seem to be the ones that can fit on a smartphone. Conventional tech companies are finding new ways to offer their products and services in a digestible, minimal form while some new tech companies are focusing on promoting mobile-exclusive products.
Regardless of your industry or business model, you’ll need to make sure your mobile app has these 10 qualities if you want it to be successful:
1. Platform appropriate. Your app should be optimized for a mobile user, taking advantage of the natural qualities of the smartphone or tablet. Make sure your app is compatible and functional for all brands and devices.
2. Pretty. Like it or not, your app needs to look amazing. Even the best app idea could falter if it isn’t packaged in a fully branded, colorfully enticing way.
3. Easy. Your app needs to be easy to install, easy to access, and easy to use. Sketch out how you think you’d like your app to work and spend time making it simpler.
4. Unique. Look at your competition. Are you just a modified copy of their model? Make sure your idea is unique enough to stand on its own.
5. Memorable. Your user should be left with a major impression. Use any design, wording, and interface techniques you can to make sure your user never forgets their experience.
6. Shareable. The most successful mobile apps are the ones that are easily shareable. Your app needs to have a feature that rewards users for sharing it with other users.
7. Spontaneous. Any app needs to be accessible for short bursts of user activity. If your app only is good for long, drawn-out sessions of use, it probably won’t succeed.
8. Cheap. It’s a no-brainer. The cheaper something is, the more users are likely to download it. Try a free version coupled with a full version.
9. Demographic targeted. Know your audience. Not everyone in the world will want your app, so focus on the users who will.
10. Fun. Possibly the most important quality in any app is its level of enjoyability. Take the time to entertain your users in addition to whatever your app’s primary function is.
There are many ingredients in the formula to mobile app success, but if these 10 characteristics are prominent in your idea, you’ll be on a good path forward. Work hard, test thoroughly, and your app could be the next one to change the world.